Linda Ellis is an American author and poet, best known for her poem “The Dash.” She wrote the poem as a tribute to her father, and it has since become a popular piece for speeches, memorial services, and other events where reflections on life and legacy are shared. Linda has written several books and poems and continues to be a popular speaker and commentator on life and spirituality.
Here Are a Few More Details About Linda Ellis:-
- Early Life: Linda was born in Atlanta, Georgia and grew up in a family that valued education and the arts. She pursued a degree in psychology and worked in various fields before discovering her passion for writing.
- Writing Career: Linda began her writing career in the 1980s and quickly gained recognition for her poetry and inspirational messages. She has written several books and poems, including “The Dash,” “The Cowboy and the Cross,” and “The Gift of Goodbye.”
- Philanthropy: Linda is known for her philanthropic work and her efforts to make a positive impact on the world. She supports a number of causes and organizations, including environmental and wildlife conservation, education, and health and wellness initiatives.
- Public Speaking: Linda is an engaging and dynamic speaker and has been invited to share her poetry and messages at events around the world. She has been a keynote speaker at conferences, colleges, and universities, and has also been a guest on various radio and television programs.
- Legacy: Linda’s “The Dash” poem has become a classic piece of modern poetry, inspiring people to reflect on the impact of their lives and to make the most of their time on earth. Her work continues to be widely shared and has helped countless people to find comfort, hope, and inspiration.
- Writing Style: Linda’s writing style is characterized by its simplicity, elegance, and emotional depth. Her poems are often heartfelt and touching, and they are designed to inspire people to reflect on their own lives and to appreciate the beauty of the world around them.
- Family: Linda is married and has children and grandchildren. She lives in the South and is actively involved in her local community.
- Personal Philosophy: Linda’s personal philosophy is centered around the idea that life is precious and that each person has the power to make a positive impact on the world. She encourages people to live their lives with purpose and to focus on the things that matter most, such as relationships, kindness, and giving back.
- Online Presence: Linda has a strong online presence and a large following on social media. She frequently shares her poems, messages, and thoughts with her followers and interacts with them through her blog and other online platforms.
- Recognition: Linda’s work has been recognized by various organizations and media outlets, and she has received numerous awards and honors for her writing and contributions to society. She is widely considered one of the most important poets of her generation and her impact on the literary world continues to be felt today.
Linda Ellis wrote the poem “The Dash” as a tribute to her father, who had recently passed away. The poem reflects on the importance of the dash that separates the date of a person’s birth and death on a gravestone, and the impact that this dash can have on the world.
In the poem, Linda encourages readers to think about what they want to do with the dash of their own lives and to fill it with memories and experiences that matter most. She emphasizes that the dash is what represents a person’s life and legacy and that it is not the dates of birth and death that define a person’s impact on the world, but the things they do, say, and experience in between.
“The Dash” has become a popular piece for speeches, memorial services, and other events where reflections on life and legacy are shared. It has inspired countless people to reflect on their own lives and to strive to make the most of their time on earth. The poem has become a classic piece of modern poetry and continues to be widely read and shared today.
- Structure: The poem is written in free verse and has a simple and straightforward structure. The poem consists of a series of reflections on life and legacy, interspersed with personal anecdotes and observations.
- Message: The main message of “The Dash” is that life is short and that it is important to make the most of the time we have. Linda encourages readers to focus on what matters most in life, such as relationships, kindness and giving back. She also emphasizes the importance of living a life filled with purpose and meaning and leaving a positive legacy for future generations.
- Popularity: The poem has become very popular, and it has been used in a variety of different contexts, including as a eulogy, graduation speech, and as a source of inspiration for those facing difficult challenges. It has been translated into several languages and has been shared all over the world.
- Adaptations: In addition to its popularity as a poem, “The Dash” has also been adapted into other forms, such as a song, a video, and a book. Linda has also created a line of merchandise, including mugs, t-shirts, and plaques, featuring the poem and its message.
- Impact: “The Dash” has had a profound impact on people all over the world, and it has helped countless individuals to reflect on their own lives and to strive to make a positive impact on the world. The poem continues to be widely read and shared today, and it is considered one of the most important poems of our time.
The Dash Poem by Linda Ellis
I read of a man who stood to speak
At the funeral of a friend
He referred to the dates on the tombstone
From the beginning to the end
He noted that first came the date of birth
And spoke the following date with tears,
But he said what mattered most of all
Was the dash between those years
For that dash represents all the time
That they spent alive on earth.
And now only those who loved them
Know what that little line is worth
For it matters not, how much we own,
The cars…the house…the cash.
What matters is how we live and love
And how we spend our dash.
So, think about this long and hard.
Are there things you’d like to change?
For you never know how much time is left
That can still be rearranged.
If we could just slow down enough
To consider what’s true and real
And always try to understand
The way other people feel.
And be less quick to anger
And show appreciation more
And love the people in our lives
Like we’ve never loved before.
If we treat each other with respect
And more often wear a smile,
Remembering this special dash
Might only last a little while
So, when your eulogy is being read
With your life’s actions to rehash…
Would you be proud of the things they say
About how you spent YOUR dash?
The Dash Poem” by Linda Ellis About
“The Dash” by Linda Ellis is a poem about life and death that reflects on the importance of making the most of the time we have. The poem is written from the perspective of a speaker who is attending a funeral and reflects on the life of the deceased.
The speaker reflects on the concept of the “dash” on a gravestone, which represents the time between a person’s birth and death. They emphasize that this dash represents the story of a person’s life, and that it is what will be remembered long after they are gone.
The poem encourages readers to make the most of their own dash, to fill it with meaningful experiences and memories, and to live a life filled with purpose and meaning. The speaker emphasizes that life is short and that it is important to focus on what matters most, such as relationships, kindness, and giving back.
The poem also reflects on the idea that life is a journey, and that death is the final guest. The speaker emphasizes that time is a thief that takes everything away, but that the dash remains as a testament to a person’s life and legacy.
Overall, “The Dash” is a powerful and thought-provoking poem that encourages readers to reflect on their own lives and to strive to make a positive impact on the world. It is a reminder that life is precious and that it is important to make the most of the time we have.
In addition to its powerful message, “The Dash” has been widely popular and has touched the hearts of many people around the world. The poem has been shared in various forms, including in books, videos, and public speaking events. It has also been used as a source of inspiration for individuals facing difficult challenges, reminding them to focus on what is most important in life.
Linda Ellis has received numerous accolades for her work, including awards for her poetry and her contributions to the literary world. She continues to write and share her work with the world, inspiring others to live life to the fullest and to make a positive impact on those around them.
The message of “The Dash” has resonated with people of all ages and backgrounds, reminding us to cherish the moments we have and to make the most of the time we have on this earth. It is a timeless poem that will continue to inspire and touch the hearts of people for generations to come.